Encouraged by the momentum of downtown revitalization in Wilmington in the late 1990s, Greg Stewart sold his interest in Stewart’s Brewing Company to his brother Al. In July 2000, Greg opened a brewpub of his own in a complex of former 19th century homes at 1210 N. Market Street.
The Downtown Brewing Company produced a variety of traditional English style ales and German style lager beers.
Unfortunately, after-hours business alone could not sustain the pub, forcing its closure in December 2003. The building was subsequently demolished and is now a municipal surface parking lot.